Tuesday, June 1, 2021

The WT trump card TRUMPED!

In talking with JWs my goal is to keep the subject on the deity of Christ. When the JW feels that I have made some relevant points, they often will bring out their TRUMP CARD, "Jehovah is Almighty God, Jesus is only a mighty God." The JW thinks, zinger, end of conversation, that's all she wrote, move on, nothing more to be said.


However, I have them turn to Revelation 1:8, “I am the Alpha and the Omega,” says Jehovah God, “the One who is and who was and who is coming, the Almighty.”

The JW responds, "see, that proves my point." However, if one digs deeper it proves just the opposite.

Look at Revelation 1:8 in the Kingdom Interlinear Translation (KIT, see below.) Note that the word underlined in RED on the Greek side (the left hand larger column) is Κύριος translated as Lord. The WT in their New World Translation (the smaller column on the right side) has changed Lord to Jehovah.


In the KIT page 18, the WT has laid down their own rule as to when they are justified in changing Κύριος and θεός to Jehovah. See below.



By their own rule Revelation 1:8 should be a quotation from the Hebrew Scriptures. However, the phrase “Alpha and Omega” only occurs three times in the Bible—at Rev. 1:8, 21:6 and 22:13. The WT has violated their own rule for inserting Jehovah into the NT in place of Κύριος and θεός. WHY? Their doctrine DEMANDS that the term "Almighty" apply only to Jehovah and never to Jesus. Therefore, they had to insert "Jehovah" at Revelation 1:8 to maintain the integrity of their doctrine. Without the change the verse reads, “I am the Alpha and the Omega,” says the Lord, “the One who is and who was and who is coming, the Almighty.” "Lord" being the Lord Jesus. Follow the phrase “Alpha and Omega” in Revelation and you will see that "The Alpha and the Omega" is indeed the Lord Jesus.

Rev. 1:8, —“I am the Alpha and the Omega,” says Jehovah God, “the One who is and who was and who is coming, the Almighty.” Note: the Alpha and Omega is COMING.

Rev. 21:6—“And he said to me: “They have come to pass! I am the Alpha and the Omega, the beginning and the end. To anyone thirsting I will give from the fountain of water of life free.” Note: the Alpha and Omega is the BEGINNING AND THE END.

Rev. 22:12-13—“’Look! I am coming quickly, and the reward I give is with me, to render to each one as his work is. I am the Alpha and the Omega, the first and the last, the beginning and the end.” Note the Alpha and the Omega is COMING QUICKLY and is THE BEGINNING AND THE END and is THE FIRST AND LAST.

After considering Rev. 1:8, 21:6 and 22:12-13 ask yourself:

(1) Who is COMING and COMING QUICKLY

Rev. 22:20, “He that bears witness of these things says, ‘Yes: I am COMING QUICKLY.’” “Amen! COME, LORD JESUS.” Conclusion ? ? ?

(2) Who is THE BEGINNING AND THE END? This phrase occurs twice in Scripture: Rev. 21:6 (see above) and Rev. 22:13 (see above). The BEGINNING AND THE END is the ALPHA AND THE OMEGA who is COMING QUICKLY. And who is it that is COMING QUICKLY? Conclusion ? ? ?

(3) Who is THE FIRST AND THE LAST? The phrase occurs three times in Scripture: Rev. 1:17, 2:8 and 22:13 (see above). 

Rev. 1:17-18, “And when I saw him, I fell as dead at his feet. And he laid his right hand upon me and said: 'Do not be fearful. I am the FIRST AND THE LAST, and the living one; and I became dead, but look! I am living forever and ever, and I have the keys of death and Hades.'" Who is it that became dead but now is living forever? Is that referring to Jehovah or possible is it Jesus? Conclusion ? ? ?

Rev. 2:8, “And to the angel of the congregation in Smyrna write: These are the things that he says, ‘the First and the Last,’ who became dead and came to life [again].” Did Jehovah become dead and then came back to life again or was that Jesus? Conclusion ? ? ?

Also consider:

Isaiah 44:6, "This is what Jehovah has said, the King of Israel and the Repurchaser of him, Jehovah of armies, 'I am the first and I am the last, and besides me there is no God." See also Isaiah 48:12

Jesus is the First and Last in Revelation and Jehovah is the First and Last in Isaiah. Are there two (2) Firsts and two (2) Lasts? Conclusion ? ? ?

SUMMING UP THE ABOVE: The WT’s trump card in arguing that Jesus is NOT GOD is, “Jehovah is ALMIGHTY GOD and Jesus is only  a mighty God.” The WT is forced (because of their doctrine) to change Rev. 1:8 from the Lord (Jesus) being Almighty to Jehovah being the Almighty which is in direct violation of their own rule for inserting Jehovah into the New Testament.

In addition, The Alpha and the Omega is “coming quickly” but it is the Lord Jesus who is “coming quickly.” 

The Alpha and the Omega is also described as The Beginning and The End who is coming quickly. Again, it is the Lord Jesus who is coming quickly.

The Alpha and The Omega is also described as "the First and the Last.” The First and the Last was dead and now lives forever. Does this describe Jehovah or is it the Lord Jesus who was dead but now lives forever?

Lastly, Jesus is called a Mighty God in Isaiah 9:6, “For there has been a child born to us, there has been a son given to us; And the princely rule will  come to be upon His shoulder; And His name will be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Eternal Father, Prince of Peace.” 

Note that Jehovah is also called Mighty God at Isaiah 10:21 and Jeremiah 32:18. And remember  Isaiah 42:8, “I am Jehovah. That is my name; and to no one else shall I give my own glory, neither my praise to graven images.”


No comments: