Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Christ’s Memorial. Take eat, drink NONE of you! Part 2

All scriptural quotations come from the WT’s own Bible: The New World Translation.

The communion celebration was started by Christ himself and he asked ALL his followers to partake. Where in scripture does it indicate the practice that JWs carry out today, namely that the vast majority do not partake?

Jesus made it very clear what his followers were to do at the Lord’s Evening Meal that he started. Jehovah Witnesses actually do read Christ’s instructions during the Memorial from their Bible on what they are commanded by him to do at 1 Corinthians 11:23-26:

For I received from the Lord that which I also handed on to YOU, that the Lord Jesus in the night in which he was going to be handed over took a loaf and, after giving thanks, he broke it and said: “This means my body which is in YOUR behalf. Keep doing this in remembrance of me.” He did likewise respecting the cup also, after he had the evening meal, saying: “This cup means the new covenant by virtue of my blood. Keep doing this, as often as YOU drink it, in remembrance of me.” For as often as YOU eat this loaf and drink this cup, YOU keep proclaiming the death of the Lord, until he arrives.”

Is this what they do? They teach it is a command for all JW’s to attend this memorial and then are told to disobey Jesus' command to partake of the emblems that represent His blood and body that He gave to cover our sins. Right after they read Jesus’ words to “Keep doing this in remembrance of me” they are told not to do the very thing that would remind them of Jesus, namely partake. If the majority of JW’s are not in the New Covenant then why are they invited to this meal? Is this some kind of spectator sport that Christ instituted? Apparently the leadership of JW’s think so.

Consider Christ words at John 6:53-58:

Accordingly Jesus said to them: “Most truly I say to YOU, Unless YOU eat the flesh of the Son of man and drink his blood, YOU have no life in yourselves. He that feeds on my flesh and drinks my blood has everlasting life, and I shall resurrect him at the last day; for my flesh is true food, and my blood is true drink. He that feeds on my flesh and drinks my blood remains in union with me, and I in union with him. Just as the living Father sent me forth and I live because of the Father, he also that feeds on me, even that one will live because of me. This is the bread that came down from heaven. It is not as when YOUR forefathers ate and yet died. He that feeds on this bread will live forever. (NWT)

Notice what Jesus urges his followers to do:

“As they continued eating, Jesus took a loaf and, after saying a blessing, he broke it and, giving it to the disciples, he said: “TAKE, eat. This means my body.” Also, he took a cup and, having given thanks, he gave it to them, saying: “Drink out of it, all of YOU,” (Matthew 26:26-27,)

If there are two classes of Christians, those who attend and partake AND those who attend but do not partake, then why didn’t Jesus ever mention this? Clearly the practice of not partaking is against Jesus command for all of his followers to partake!

No comments: