Friday, February 1, 2013

Comma, Comma, where does the Comma go? Part 2



Can you spot the difference in these two translations from Luke 23:43?



1. "Truly I say to you, today you will be with me in Paradise."
2. "Truly I say to you today, you will be with me in Paradise."

The verse in question is Luke 23:43 and the question poised in Part 1 was, “does the comma belong before or after the word "today"? I presented several arguments in favor of choice #1. Again, here is the main argument:

Matthew 5:18    “Truly I tell you, till heaven and earth pass away .”
Matthew 5:26    “Truly I tell you, you will not get out . . .”
Matthew 6:2     “Truly I tell you, they have received their reward.”
Matthew 6:5     “Truly I tell you, they have received their reward.”
Matthew 10:15   “Truly I tell you, it will be more tolerable . . .”
Luke 4:24       “Truly I tell you, a prophet is not without honor . . ”
Luke 8:12       “Truly I tell you, no sign will be given . . .”
Luke 11:51      “Truly I tell you, it shall be required . . . ”
Luke 13:35      “Truly I tell you, you will not see me . . . ”
Luke 18:17      “Truly I tell you, whoever shall not receive . . . ”
Luke 23:43      “Truly I tell you today, you will be with me . . .”
John 3:3        “Truly I tell you, unless a man . . .”
John 3:11       “Truly I tell you, we speak . . . ”
John 5:19       “Truly I tell you, the Son can do . . .”
John 5:24       “Truly I tell you, whoever hears my . . .”
John 5:25       “Truly I tell you, a time is coming . . .   ”

The answer as to why the comma is directly after the first "you" is simple: The phrase "Truly I tell to you" or "Truly I say to you" occurs 76 times in the Gospels, always spoken by Jesus. In the other 75 occurrences, the comma is ALWAYS placed directly after the "you." Moreover, in none of these occurrences would it make any sense to include the next word before the comma.

So after punctuating the identical phrase in the identical manner 75 times, for consistency sake, it would only make sense to punctuate it the same way the 76th time.

Added to this simple grammatical explanation is the fact that it would make no sense whatsoever to include "today" in the introductory phrase. The word is completely redundant and unnecessary if punctuated that way. "Truly I tell you today, …" When else is Jesus speaking, tomorrow? The reading "Truly I tell you today" not only contains a redundancy ("I say" is in the present tense already— making "today" redundant), it destroys the natural force of these words.

Furthermore, remember the situation: Jesus is hanging on the cross. He is struggling for every breath. Every word He speaks would be difficult. So, after a lifetime of saying "Truly, I say to you" (pause), it would make no sense for Him to now, as He is struggling for every breath, to change His lifetime pattern and add the completely unnecessary word "today" before the pause. But after the pause, it makes perfect sense. There, the word does have meaning.

Specifically, in the Greek text, the word "today" is the first word in the second phrase of Jesus words. In Greek usage, placing a word first in a clause is done to emphasize the word. Here, Jesus is emphasizing that immediately upon his death, the thief would be with Him in paradise.

And finally, the modern equivalent to "Truly, I tell you" would be something like, "Let me tell you the truth." And I don't ever see anyone saying "Let me tell you the truth today (pause) ...." In other words, no one today would include the word "today" in an introductory phrase. Again, it is simply redundant and unnecessary.

As I stated in my Part 1, there is ONE modern English version which does put the comma after the "today" in Luke 23:43 - the New World Translation, the "Bible" of Jehovah's Witnesses. But their reason for doing so is their preconceived theology, not grammar. JWs do not believe the righteous go directly to "paradise" after death. They believe people enter a state of non-existence at death, only to be "re-created" at the resurrection.

No comments: