Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Twisted Scriptures and other Shenanigans-Part 2

John 20:28“Thomas answered and said to Him, “My Lord and my God!” (New American Standard)

“Answered Thomas and he said to Him, ‘The Lord of me and the God of me!’” (the Greek side of "The Kingdom Interlinear Translation of the Greek Scriptures," a publication of the WT.)

The implication of this scripture is not lost on the WT. It shows that Thomas, one of the apostles, is calling Jesus his God. Jews of that day were staunchly monotheistic and here Thomas was calling Jesus his God—the God of the Jews who was Jehovah of the Old Testament.

The WT spin-doctors jumped on this verse and came up with the following:


WT Explanation #1. When Thomas said, “My Lord,” he was looking at Jesus but when he said, “My God, “ he was looking up to heaven and addressing the Father. ("Jehovah's Witnesses," by Anthony Hoekema, pg. 139)

However, this argument falls flat since the first part of the verse—“Thomas answered and said to Him,” shows clearly that Thomas was talking directly to Jesus and only Jesus.

WT Explanation #2. When Thomas saw the risen Lord, he was so startled that he exclaimed, “My Lord and My God.” (The WT, October 1, 1962, page 597, and "Reasoning from the Scriptures," page 213.)

However, if Thomas was merely startled and according to the WT wrongly calling Jesus his God, then Jesus would not allow such blasphemy to occur without rebuking Thomas. But in John 20:29 not only does Jesus not rebuke Thomas but he commends him, “Jesus said to him, “Because you have seen Me, have you believed? Blessed are they who did not see, and yet believed.”

WT Explanation #3. If Thomas had meant that Jesus was the only true God, Jesus would certainly have reproved him. Since Jesus did not reprove him, Thomas could not have meant this. “What then did Thomas mean when he said to Jesus, “My God?” He meant what the Apostle John meant: that Jesus was the Son of God. John did not say that Jesus was God the Son; he only said that Jesus was the Son of God.” ("The Word—Who is He? According to John," A WT booklet)

However, remember that the Jews of Jesus’ day believed in only one true God. All others were false gods. Therefore, when Thomas said, “my Lord and my God,” he was in effect saying, “my true Lord and my true God.” The WT would have you believe that he was saying, “my false Lord and my false God.”

Since Thomas could not be saying “my false God,” but was saying, “my true God,” it is very telling that Jesus did not rebuke him but said all who believed likewise were blessed.

WT Explanation #4. "...Thomas said, "my" God and not "the" God." WT, 6/1/'1988, page 19.




However, the WT is trying to hide this most damaging of facts, that Thomas referred to Jesus as "ho theos", "the God." Check out the Greek side of the KIT--it is there for all to see. John recorded it under the inspiration of the Holy Spirit.

The WT cannot accept Thomas' words and at the same time uphold their Arian view of the nature of Christ (see my Blog “How does the Arian Heresy Relate to the JW’s View of Jesus.”) The WT does not accept the straightforward reading of John 20:28 because it refutes a core WT doctrine - that Jesus Christ is not God. The WT says that Thomas simply could not have meant what he so plainly stated. And once again, WT doctrine wins out over the plain truth of scripture. 

One last reading of John 20:28 from the WT’s own KIT - Greek Side – which, by God’s grace, is actually correct.




"Answered Thomas and he said to Him, 'The Lord of me and the God of me!'"Twisted Part 3 is here.



No comments: